Thursday, April 5, 2007

working, again.

No new pictures, I'm afraid. I keep forgetting to bring my camera to rehearsals; anyway, I'm not sure about the protocol surrounding posting people's set/puppet/costume designs on the 'net... Work is going well, though. It's a learning curve, for sure, this being an ASM. (that's assistant stage manager, for you non-theatre people) There's always another prop to move, another note to take, another person to help. I'd much rather be singing or playing, but I'm really glad I'm not the music director on this one! Ya-Wen Wang has done an amazing job of arranging all the music- it's much more complex than the stuff I've done in the past. One thing about this career- the more I do, the more I realize I need to know! In case I haven't yet explained, this is a shadow-puppet show about addiction, featuring around 30 members of the downtown eastside community. They aren't pro actors, and they're doing a great job- most pro actors would complain about the amount of stuff they have to do, but these guys jump right in. That said, they also have the faults of non-pros- the acting is sometimes stilted, and they need to be told everything at least 3 times before it sinks in. Not to mention the issues, weaknesses, illness and addictions that haunt so many of them, being true downtown eastside residents. It's challenging, and I'm glad my job is mainly lurking in the shadows and helping out when I'm needed.
I'm posting drunk right now- on my 2nd glass of wine and it's gone straight to my head! So let me be sloppy drunk and list some of the things I'm truly thankful for: I have been making decent money for the last year and it feels so good! Actually being able to save some money is a wonderful thing that I could never explore when I was a bookseller.
I am so grateful to have a wonderful man who makes delicious spaghetti-and-meat-sauce for me when I come home tired & hungry from rehearsals.
I am so glad that I love all of my immediate family members, without exception.
I'm glad I got up early enough to go to the gym today.
And lastly, although their blogs inspired this one, I am glad that I do NOT envy my friends with children. I love that I am child-free at this moment in my life. That may change one day, but I am so glad I have the chance to realize my dreams before I start thinking about someone else's.
Peace.

No comments: