Saturday, March 1, 2008

Blogging at 2am: bad idea or really bad idea?

So, normally I think that Vancouver lags behind major metropolitan cities when it comes to things like "cool" and "after hours" and "a scene", although I really wouldn't know, since my idea of a hot night out is usually a) playing a gig or b) going to a late movie or c) gorging on Chicken Chow Mein at Chong Quing.
But... we do have a pretty amazing little theatre scene, of which I am very proud to be a peripheral member. And one of the coolest groups in that scene is the Leaky Heaven Circus, of which I am a founding member. Tonight I did a clown act at a Leaky Heaven salon where we explored "the spaces between gender" and I sang "He's Not Heavy...He's My Brother" with another performer, both of us dressed in drag pretending to be brothers and it was- weird. And fun. The great thing about that group of folks is that you can be pretty much whoever you want to be and it's totally acceptable. That's what I love about theatre.
And the nicest thing was that Ana and Amelia showed up halfway through to spirit me away for alcohol and company all through the night, so that it's after 2am now and I'm still awake and blogging. Lungs too smoky, head spinning from spirits, but overjoyed to have spent an evening with the girls, drinking and dishing the gossip. Not something I do often enough, and very fun. I feel very lucky. And tired. I think I'll sleep now...

No comments: