Friday, December 26, 2008

On Boxing Day, my stepmom June slipped into a coma in the early hours of the morning and died in the afternoon without regaining consciousness. She'd had a nice Christmas Day at the hospice where she was supposed to be staying for a few days to sort out her pain medication levels. My dad and June had a good lunch together and a walk, and she would have spoken to her daughter and grandkids in Ottawa, as it was Christmas Day. I spoke to her for a few minutes as well, and told her that we were looking forward to seeing her when we arrived in Kelowna on Sunday. That night, she complained of a pain in her head, and yesterday morning, the staff at the hospice couldn't wake her. Her body just gave up, after years of putting up such a fight against the cancer. I'm glad that she went quickly, after what sounded like an enjoyable day. I'm glad she never woke up after what was most likely a stroke. I'm glad for my father, that this long journey is over. I worry about what he'll do in the next few months as his new reality sets in; this new loneliness. I haven't cried yet. I feel very detached and more relieved than anything else, although I think sadness will come when we arrive in Kelowna tomorrow and stay in the house that June made so comfortable.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry A.
My heart goes out to you and your loved ones.
~ XO JB