Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A bunch of stuff.

Well, we actually had a few days of sun and almost-warmth before the Bad Rain Gods caught up with VanCity again. Most notably, the rain was absent for much of my friend Gill's visit last week. Gill was my friend (and awesome roomie) many years ago, when I was fresh-outta-my-mom's-house and hanging out saucer-eyed at Bard on the Beach, falling in luuurve with cute actor boys. For a while, she lived in the basement of a giant house in Kits and I lived in the front half of the top floor. God, I haven't even thought about those times in ages. It was awesome.
We didn't do too much reminiscing this time around, because we were busy enjoying her little girl, Dani. (Who says things like "I'm writing a story. It's called The Lonely Towel" in an incredibly cute British accent.) I am constantly amazed at how we can pick up with old friends as if we've never left off. I just did it again tonight with my friend Andrea, who was my kindred-spirit buddy when we were kids in Toronto. (and another awesome roomie here in Vancouver, years later) I guess it means that I chose my friends wisely as a kid, and that the true cream-of-the-crop friends will stick around through the years and absences and life changes. Lucky me.
So what else has been going on lately, besides winning big money at the races? and seeing my BFFs? Well, I'm auditioning for school in a couple of weeks, so I enlisted my friends Steve and Dave to record some guitar tracks to sing along to. I love those guys and they did a great job. I may not get into school, but the staff will be all: "who were those great guitar players you were warbling along to?"
Also, this is happening. This may seems like a little gig, but this is big for me. Life-list big. Not only reuniting with some of my best buddies (and my ex, in fact) and playing some of our old stuff, but doing an opening set of my own stuff.
And then it's back up to my summer home for 4 months. So of course I am getting the pangs I always get this time of year, the pangs that remind me how much I'll miss VanCity in the summer. Sun. Ocean. Music. Patios. Free time. Not to mention shitty work prospects and boredom and aimlessness, but still. I know that once I get Up There I will snap into work mode and everything will be good. But it IS hard leaving this city for its finest seasons, however much I may bitch about it here from time to time. The rip and tear of having your heart (and work) in two places, I guess.

No comments: